The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons with continuation of group health insurance coverage under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave.
You have an employee who is asking about the FMLA because she needs to take leave from work to care for a family member who is seriously ill. You are going to meet with her to explain it. Prepare a PowerPoint presentation (minimum of 8 slides) and address the following:
- Overview of FMLA
- Does the state where you currently reside have its own FMLA?
- How does FMLA apply in the workplace?
- Who does it apply to?
- Does it apply in this situation?
- Is FMLA paid or unpaid leave? Is using accrued paid vacation leave, paid sick leave, or family leave allowed?
- What is required to be approved for FMLA?