Prior to beginning work on this assignment read Chapter 5 in the Martin (2015), Chapter 2 in the Steiner (2015) text, and the King (2010) article.
The annotated bibliography is an individual assignment for Week Two, but it is also intended to serve as a foundation for the literature review section of the summative assignment. The annotated bibliography must incorporate 10 scholarly journal articles from the Ashford University Library. The King (2010) article provides an understanding of the elements and form of an annotated bibliography. In addition, you may wish to consult the Ashford Writing Centerâ€™s example annotated bibliography (Links to an external site.) for a general sense of what one looks like, but be sure to incorporate the required elements below in your annotated bibliography.
Each journal article must engage at least one of the following topics. Further, each of the below topics must be addressed at least once, with respect to your 10 chosen articles.
- Responsibilities and functions of agencies that mitigate hostilities, threats, hazards, and consequences;
- Skills utilized to identify, evaluate, and resolve complex policy issues;
- Methods utilized by response systems;
- Ethical and legal issues that arise in response to Homeland Security actions.
- Theory utilized to advance research questions in homeland security.
The Annotated Bibliography must include the following for each source.
- Create a complete APA formatted citation.
- Create an annotation that summarizes the information provided in each full article. Succinctly address the following elements while synthesizing this information.
- Explain the authorâ€™s(s) research objective, findings and associated policy implications;
- Provide a brief description of the professional and academic background of the author(s);
- Briefly compare or contrast this article with another article within your annotated bibliography, in terms of their respective findings and contributions;
- Briefly explain how the article could be utilized to inform your theoretically grounded and evidence-based policy proposal.
The Annotated Bibliography
- Must be three to five pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of assignment
- Studentâ€™s name
- Course name and number
- Instructorâ€™s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least 10 scholarly journal articles.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.