Consider the following scenario:
You are an agency supervisor. Two of your female employees are close friends. They are often seen in each other’s office. They have imperious personalities. They go out for drinks after work and socialize with each other on weekends. When one of these two workers becomes upset, the other follows suit. If the two argue with each other, there is tension in the office. In staff meetings these two workers will sometimes gang up on other workers who may disagree with their ideas and proposals regarding clients and agency functioning. Some workers have complained about how these two workers can intimidate other workers. More recently your agency has experienced a high staff turnover.
In a 1-2 page paper address the following:
- What are the salient features associated with this case?
- What is the supervisor’s primary responsibility in responding to this behavior?
- Discuss the role that diverse perspectives could be playing in creating some of the conflict
- Why is understanding diversity as important when working on a team?
- How can these two resolve the issue so that they are both demonstrating valuable and meaningful contribution to their tasks and work teams?
- Identify a minimum of 3-4 concepts and definitions from your various human services courses and explain how these concepts are evident and relevant to this scenario. For example:
“In the Rosales scenario there are several examples of human service concepts and terms. One term that is relevant to this scenario is cultural assimilation. Cultural assimilation refers to process by which a person from a differing culture adapts and changes behaviors to meet the demands of the new culture (Jones 2016). The family will need to learn English and adapt to the US culture as part of their assimilation process.”
Use bold print or italics to highlight the key concept and terms so that your instructor can easily identify the terms/concepts you have chosen for this scenario. Use credible sources where appropriate.
(Please note that by the course project’s completion you’ll want to make reference to as many concepts from your human services curriculum as possible e.g. Human Behavior, Theoretical Service Delivery, Research, Human Sexuality etc…)
- Discuss and propose resolutions to this scenario.