This HW do not have a minimum word or page requirement, but you have to provide as much detail as possible (I would aim for 5 or more sentences per question) and also provide when you find the answer (example: 12:31)
Please watch the clips and give thoughtful responses to the following questions
“Black in Latin America: Brazil”
- Tell me about the numbers of Africans that were brought to Brazil and tell me how that contributes to Brazil’s racial/ethnic complexity
- Tell me about Capoeira and its cultural significance
- Tell me about Candomblé and its cultural significance
- Tell me about Brazil’s attitudes towards Blackness- why are they so complicated?
- Tell me about Xica da Silva and what her example tells us about the complexities of race relations in Brazil (and Latin America)
- Tell me about Branqueamento and what it tells us about race and power
- Manuel Carino
- Gilberto Freyre
- Complications about race and class in Brazil today
- Issues with affirmative action in Brazil’s universities, and the opposing opinions
- What did you learn about the genetic makeup of the people Gates spoke to during the film? How does that relate to what we discussed about phenotype vs. race?