NOTE: This is a PowerPoint Presentation
Assignment Instructions: Pretend you are a juror at the Salon of 1874, the year the first impressionist exhibition was held. Your criteria for judging submissions to the official art exposition are very different from what those young, avant-garde art rebels are doing. You have a traditional set of standards.
- Step 1: Review the aesthetic criteria demanded by the Academy.
- Step 2: Rate each painting according to the standards listed: Accepted or Rejected by the Salon.
- Step 3: Categorize the following 6 images according to Salon standards. Accepted images go into the Salon of Traditional Paintings, rejected images go into the Salon of Avant-garde Paintings.
- Step 4: For each image, explain why the painting was accepted or rejected based on the following Salon criteria. How does each image fit or reject the salon standards? What is traditional or avant-garde about each image?
- Step 5: Create a PowerPoint with each image and your written assessments (1 image/assessment per slide) to upload to Blackboard. The description must be at least 200 words.
- Édouard Manet, The Railway, 1873.Link to Manet’s Railway
- Ferdinand Humbert, Virgin, Infant Jesus, St. John the Baptist, 1874. Link to Humbert’s Virgin
- Edgar Degas, The Ballet Class, 1874. Link to Degas’ Ballet Class
- Link to Morisot’s Cradle The Cradle
- Link to Monet’s Poppies Poppies (Walk in Field of Poppies)
- Link to Bonnat’s Christ