http://www.bartleby.com/268/2/11.html (THE PRIMARY READING DOCUMENT link)
IN WRITING THIS PAPER DO NOT USE ANY OUTSIDE REFERENCES OTHER THAN THE PRIMARY READING DOCUMENT, THE GUIDELINES HEREIN, NOTES FROM COURSE LECTURE ON CICERO AND THE WESTERN HUMANITIES TEXTBOOK.
1) INTRODUCTION: a) Include a brief introduction discussing the importance of Oratory (rethoric) in the socio-political and literary context of the Ancient Roman Empire; b) Refer to the historical, cultural and socio-political context in Rome at the time Cicero delivered this Oration; c) Analyze if there is any reflection of these in the Oration. Must use the information from Lectures and course textbook.
2) SUMMARY: a brief and concise summary of what you read (Primary Reading). Do not re-tell the story.
3) ANALYSIS: an Original in-depth analysis of the primary source (i.e., go beyond re-telling the story). Must use the information from the Lecture on Cicero and Oration given in class. Include the following:
- Why does Cicero has to speak at all?
- What is Cicero trying to persuade his public to feel or to do?
- What is your understanding of Cicero’s persuasive goals in his Oration?
- What problems stand in the way of achieving Cicero’s persuasive goals?
- What is the format/ style of Cicero’s speech? (must use information from Lecture on Cicero)
- What is the structure of Cicero’s speech? (must use information from Lecture on Cicero)
- Cover Page. Must follow the required format.
- Resources or Work Cited page. Must follow the given requirements for written assignments in format and content.
- Your essay must have a MINIMUM of 1200 typed words of high quality original critical analysis.
- Essays must be submitted as an attached WORD document ONLY. No other formats will be accepted. Papers submitted on any other formats will not be graded. If for any reason, I can’t open your paper it will not be graded and in both cases a “0” grade will be assigned.
- Writing quality. No use of direct quotes. Do not use quotes to “speak for you”. What I want to read is your analysis not a series of quotes.
- Style (MLA or U Chicago).
Your paper must have a minimum of 1200 words. Do NOT count the Cover page or the Woks Cited page words as part of the minimum 1200 words.