1. Conduct a search of news reports that involve an organization responding to crisis events. Search for a range of reports to get an overview of the types of crises that organizations have responded to in recent years. Then, select one crisis event to develop your response, addressing the following points. Support your response with specific examples from the news report and illustrate the specific course concepts you relied on to draw your conclusions. Post a link to the news report in your reply.
- Who were the stakeholders? Who was impacted by the crisis—both inside and outside of the company?
- Was the crisis preventable?
- Were the circumstances of the crisis predictable/unpredictable? Were there elements of uncertainty that were outside of the organizational leaders’ control?
- What can the organizational leaders learn from the crisis and their responses?
- Who spoke to the media/public on behalf of the organization? What message did he or she convey on behalf of the organization (i.e., did he or she seek to support stakeholders, assign/accept blame for the crisis, communicate the organization’s plan for recovery)?
- How could the organization make the response more effective?
2. Select one of the following theories described in Chapter 2 of your textbook:
- news framing,
- corporate apologia,
- image repair theory, or
- situational crisis communication theory.
Use the theory you select as a framework to analyze the example that you posted in the Unit I discussion (or, you can select a new current event if you would like). For example, if you select news framing theory, analyze the specific messages the organization and the news media presented in the current event example and explain how each side framed the event, including whether the framing was positive or negative. Include specific examples to support your points. Conduct any additional research necessary to fully evaluate the aspects of the crisis response described in the theory. Using the theory as a guide, include at least one recommendation for the organization to make the crisis response more effective.
3. Post a link to a press release, a press conference, or a news report (in print or broadcast/video)of an organizational leader responding to a recent crisis.
Identify the following:
- the organizational leader’s goal for the crisis response and
- the internal and external impact of the crisis event.
Include a list of the customers, clients, shareholders, and other stakeholders that might be affected by the crisis. Explain the likely concerns of each group and the organization’s responsibilities, if any, to each group.
Select two of the lessons described in Chapter 3 and evaluate whether the organization complied or deviated from the advice suggested. Provide specific examples to support your points.
Using all 10 of the lessons in Chapter 3 as a guide, include at least one recommendation to the organization to make the crisis response more effective.
Support your response with specific examples. Also, illustrate the specific course concepts you relied on to draw your conclusions.
No APA these are just discussion boards.