Directions: Choose 4 essay topics listed below to complete for your midterm. Each question is worth 50 points. Questions should be answered in full (approx. half of a page each, minimum). Answers should be written completely in your own words, not copied from the textbook or any other sources. Any question asking for examples must be original examples created by you, not examples from your textbook.
1. Describe fundamental distinctions between three different perspectives on the self: the self as actor, agent, and author.
2. Explain the ways that our attributions can influence our mental health and the ways that our mental health affects our attributions.
3. Explain how and why racial inequality takes a hidden toll on people of color. Then, provide two examples of white privilege.
4. Describe how a person’s environment and culture helps to shape their development.
5. Discuss prejudice, stereotypes, and discrimination and provide examples of each.
6. Explain how society and culture shape the way that we view and treat the aging population.