Based on the issues discussed in this unit, in 550-600 words write about one of your recent verbal arguments (or one you witnessed). Examine your argument in terms of the elements you now understand about the argument.
- the specific issue/argument and its importance to you
- the focused audience and how this knowledge may have affected your approach
- appropriate/practical timing
- the opposition’s perspectives, acknowledging strong points made and possible objections presented
- as you close: with a new awareness of how arguments can be successful, consider what could have been presented differently in your argument as you explore why some arguments fail.