Discussion 1 Assignment and Peer Response:
Our first discussion will explore public
attitudes associated with not only the environment, but science in
general. Why are we drawn toward consumer goods with labels that
identify the items as supposedly better, stronger, made natural
flavors, maximum strength, all natural, organic, pesticide free, animal
testing-free, GMO free, etc.? Why do these labels make a difference
even if the label if their meaning is vague inconsequential? The
question is not so much the opinion but why different perspectives
develop around the issue.
What do people base their decision on in
terms of agreeing or disagreeing with these statements? In many cases,
people may say their decision is on a objective assessment or science.
While others may have an opinion that science or aspects of science
aren’t trustworthy. Ideally, science or scientists are always correct.
Unfortunately, there are times when scientists may have different
opinions about whether an action is warranted. How do we reconcile
these differences and decide how we should respond to a specific
In your initial post select two or three of the statements listed below as the basis for answering the following questions:
1. Food containing genetically modified organisms should be labeled as such.
2. Organic food is more nutritious than nonorganic food.
3. People should have a choice of whether to vaccinate their children.
4. Vaccination against certain diseases should be mandatory and free.
5. Scientists are more likely to highlight results that agree with their conclusions.
6. Where there is a pandemic people should be not required facemasks in stores.
7. Stem cell research involved material human embryos should be banned.
8. Any changes to Earth’s climate due human activity is not likely to be long term.
9. There should be active research monitoring drinking water for lead contamination in all drinking water.
10. We should take action to address climate change.
Post responses to two posts by other
students discussing how we form our opinions. If you disagree with
someone’s opinion be respectful when pointing differences in opinion.
Requirements for Discussion Assignments
are required to contribute one initial post and at least two responses
for each discussion forum. Responses to other students should be
substantive. Points will not be earned for responses that simply state,
“I agree” or “Good point.” Responses to classmates must serve to advance
the conversation. Students may agree or disagree, but all postings must
be courteous and respectful following the NEC Netiquette Guidelines.
All posts must conform to academic integrity; see NEC Academic Integrity
Policy in the syllabus and the definition of plagiarism below for more
For the initial post (one per forum) students will, unless otherwise specified by the instructor:
- Compose a well-developed initial post (400 to 500 words per question) that is comprehensive in answering questions posed on the discussion board
- Post at least two replies (400 words minimum) to classmates for each discussion forum
Week 1 Position Paper
Instructions and topics are attached below