allow the student an opportunity to apply their understanding of cash flow management, break-even analysis, and short-term and long-term financing in starting and growing a business.
Prepare a PowerPoint presentation with speaker notes requesting initial EQUITY funding of $500,000 to start and run a start-up company. The proposed start-up company should be something entirely new and exciting. Keep it simple
NOTE: Start up company which I chose is called “We The Truckers LLC“. Its a trucking company which operates nation wide in USA.
Create the presentation in the following format, with at least one slide to cover each of the following areas. Use minimal information on the slides (ie bullet points) with short sentences and detailed speaker notes for the actual write-up. Speaker notes are a requirement. use in-text citations for the speaker notes and list all references used in the reference slide. Use a dark font over a light background and a large enough font (24 or greater).
1. Title Page
2. Table of Contents
3. Executive Summary
4. Information about the Industry
5. Marketing Plan
6. Competitor Analysis
7. Three Year Income Statement (Profit &Loss) Projections – Numerical details are required for EACH of the next 3 years. These should be formatted as P&L statements and should include at a minimum, revenues, expenses and net income.
8. Include your assumptions for why and how you will achieve your sales growth and what significant expenses and investments you expect to incur to achieve your revenue goals. – Numerical details are required.
9. Three Year Proposed Funding Schedule (Sources and uses of the funds received. – Numerical details are required for EACH of the next 3 years. These should be formatted similar to the P&L statements above. However, in this case, you should include your funding inflows, outflows, and overages/deficiencies (if any). If you do have overages/deficiencies, you must explain those to the investors.
10. Break-Even Analysis – Numerical details are required. You can do this based on units, sales, etc.
11. EXPANSION: After Year 3, the investors are interested in your company expanding internationally to possibly outsource labor or to reduce manufacturing costs. What TWO countries would you expand to first,and why? What factors would you need to consider in making this decision? Choose countries listed within the OECD Database (see link above under Resources).
12. EXPANSION: What is the corporate tax rate in the TWO countries you are considering expanding your business to, and how will that affect your decision to expand globally? (Use the OECD Database link above under Resources to determine the corporate tax rate).
13. EXPANSION: The investors want to see a decision tree detailing the decisions you would make if you received $300K now and $200K at the end of three years instead of $500K up front.
14. EXPANSION: The investors would like your team to provide advantages and disadvantages of using debt financing versus selling company stock to raise capital for growth.
15. EXPANSION: Briefly explain the venture capital process (ie stages – see the Week 6 discussion question). Does it make sense for your company to raise funds through venture capital?