Ashford 6: – Week 5 – Final Paper
Your Final Paper should include a problem statement or description of the social problem you have selected, a discussion of the scope and consequences of the problem, and an assessment of society’s responses to the problem (including public policies and other less formal responses). Papers should also present a clearly reasoned alternative that is supported by scholarly research.
While the following example can be modified to suit your needs, using this outline as a guide will likely result in a high quality final paper:
- Describe the social problem.
- Explain why this problem qualifies as a social problem.
- Indicate the sociological theory or theories that may explain this social problem.
- Discuss the individual and social implications of this problem. Your discussion of implications should be supported by accurate research data.
- Summarize what social science experts have to say about this social problem. Are their conclusions methodologically sound?
- Explain what we, as a society, have done about this problem, considering public policies and other less formal responses.
- Explain how well societal efforts to solve the social problem are working.
- Describe an alternative.
- Discuss why the alternative is, or can be, an effective response to the problem. Remember to consider negative consequences of the alternative response.
- Conclude with reflections and thoughts about your chosen social problem.
Writing the Final Paper
The Final Paper:
- Must be five to seven double-spaced pages in length, and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
- Must use at least five scholarly resources, including a minimum of three from the Ashford Online Library.
- Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Carefully review the
Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.
| In Ashford courses, there are two different ways to submit assignments for grading. Depending on the system the course utilizes, assignments will either be submitted via the classroom Assignment Basket or Waypoint .
The assignments in this course will be submitted to Waypoint. Please refer to the instructions below to submit your assignment.
For more detailed instructions, refer to the Waypoint Tutorial.
CHOSEN TOPIC IS POVERTY**********************