As we have learned, deforestation is an important global issue of particular importance to the continent of South America. Simply because you do not see deforestation in your backyard does not mean that deforestation is not a crisis of global proportions. For this unit’s part of the final project, you will write a letter or create a brochure, slideshow presentation, video, or podcast to a hypothetical U.S. company deforesting a rainforest in South America. Using the information you have learned in this lesson as a starting point to help you complete your project, and then go online to learn more. The goal of your project is to convince the company to stop their actions that are contributing to deforestation. Use the facts you have learned to provide evidence to support your well reasoned and argued position.
Deforestation is a topic of concern for us as citizens of the United States as much as it is for citizens of South America. As we discussed previously, every new unit will investigate an important issue for the region we are studying in preparation for the G8 Summit … the final project. This will be your fourth of five components that will make up your semester 1 final project grade.
Consider the following questions in your project:
- What are the primary causes of deforestation?
- What are the impacts of deforestation?
- Who benefits? Who loses?
- Do the benefits outweigh the costs?
- Are there any alternatives to current practices?
- Why does it matter?
You may use the following resources to help you begin the research for your project:
- Rainforest Action Network web-site (Or use the following keywords in an online search engine to find the website: Rainforest Action Network Forests)
- NASA web-site (Or use the following keywords in an online search engine to find the website: NASA deforestation)
- WRM Briefing: This is an excellent site on deforestation! (Or use the following keywords in an online search engine to find the website: WRM deforestation)
- See how to set up a business letter: (Or use the following keywords in an online search engine to find the website: OWL Business Letter )