1. How can a restaurant manager avoid paying high prices for produce that is out of season?
2. In what way is marketing more challenging for an independent restaurant than it is for a franchise?
3. Explain the difference between real and perceived value.
4. According to the FDA, what criteria must an entrée meet in order to be labeled as “healthy” on the menu?
5. Why must restaurant owners be wary of pricing their menu items too high?
Critical Thinking Questions
1. What do you think is the most important factor to consider when pricing menu items? Explain.
2. Of the three types of restaurants we learned about in this unit, which do you prefer? Why?
3. Would you feel comfortable ordering a meal from a self-serve kiosk? Why or why not?
4. How might the implementation of self-serve kiosks on a wide scale affect food service employment?
5. Do you think it’s worth the extra money to eat at a full-service restaurant as opposed to a quick-service or fast-casual restaurant? Why or why not?