Be sure to cite and the read material and or use the bible or any other scholarly sources
The Division of the Monarchy I: Solomon�s Reign to the Northern Kingdom
Read: Chapter 7 -The Old Testament Story (Israel’s monarch descends into sin and the nation follows, soon breaking apart into two kingdoms, the northern and the southern. The northern kingdom’s fall comes first. )
Study Questions (Please respond to and answer questions 3, 7, 11, 14, 17 on pgs. 171, 172 of your textbook.)
- What were Solomon’s strengths and weaknesses as a king?
- What factors contributed to the negative reaction of the northern tribes to Rehoboam?
- Why did the worship of Baal appeal to the Israelites so strongly?
- Why did Ahab handle Elijah differently from the way Jezebel dealt with him?
- How are the portrayals of Elijah and Elisha alike, and how do they differ?
The Division of the Monarchy II: The Story of the Southern Kingdom
Read: Chapter 8 -The Old Testament Story (After the fall of the northern kingdom the southern kingdom hangs on, if only for a little while, before it too falls to enemy invasion. )
Study Questions (Please respond to and answer questions 2, 3, 6, 8, 9 on pg. 186 of your textbook.)
- What happened to bring an end to the hostilities between Israel and Judah?
- Who was Athaliah? Why is she a significant figure in Israel’s story?
- How did Judah manage to survive the Assyrian invasions that destroyed Israel and Syria in the later eighth century (745-721 B.C.E.)?
- How did Hezekiah prepare for a possible invasion by the Assyrians during Sennacherib’s reign?
- What possible physical evidence has been found to confirm Hezekiah’s reform?
The Exile and Restoration: Israel Redefined
Read: Chapter 9 -The Old Testament Story (The Exile came as a shock to the nation of Israel, north and south. After nearly 50 years away their Persian captors allow them to return to begin the efforts to rebuild a city, a temple and a covenant relationship with Yahweh. )
Lamentations; Ezra; Nehemiah
Study Questions (Please respond to and answer questions 2, 4 6, 9, 12 on pg. 206 of your textbook.)
- What does Lamentations tell us about conditions in Jerusalem during the Babylonian siege?
- What were the three major groups of Israelites that formed in the wake of the Babylonian destruction, and how were they related to each other?
- How did Cyrus’ conquest of the Babylonians affect the Jews in exile?
- Assess the relative significance of Ezra and Nehemiah to the Jerusalem community.
- How did Ezra and Nehemiah address the issue of foreign wives? Why?