This week, you will practice quoting a source and citing that source in your journal entry. Please be sure to read and review the “Example Journal Entry – Quotes” document, which describes how to integrate quotations. You should also review Guidelines for Quoting Sources and English Composition I: Integrating Quotations into Sentences.
Note: The journal assignment should not be confused with a personal journal. This activity requires organization, effective stylistics and grammar, and proper source incorporation. It is not a free-writing or reflective writing exercise.
Both of the personal essays we have read this week, “Sister Flowers” and “I Want a Wife,” use narrative and/or descriptive elements (refer to sections 6.3 and 6.4 in Essentials of College Writing), and each has a clear purpose.
Write about one of the essays assigned in this week’s readings. In 250 to 500 words
- State the purpose of the essay.
- Describe one descriptive writing pattern being used in the essay (refer to section 6.4 in Essentials of College Writing).
- Explain why you think that descriptive writing pattern is used well by the writer.
- Incorporate a quote from the essay and properly cite the essay.
- Explain how you plan to use the same descriptive writing pattern in your personal essay.
please be sure to write essay in APA style.