Choose one problem. Develop a â€˜one paragraphâ€™ solution for the problem including examples.
After completing all the assignments, develop a ‘one paragraph’ comment on individual course activities during the week.
1. Williwonkâ€™s Chocolates of St. Louis makes an assortment of chocolate candy and candy novelties. The company has six in-city stores, five stores in major metropolitan airports, and a small mail-order branch. Williwonkâ€™s has a small, computerized information system that tracks inventory in its plant, helps schedule production, and so on, but this system is not tied directly into any of its retail outlets. The mail-order system is handled manually. Recently, several Williwonkâ€™s stores experienced a rash of complaints from mail-order customers that the candy was spoiled upon arrival, that it did not come when promised, or that it never arrived; the company also received several letters complaining that candy in various airports tasted stale. Williwonkâ€™s has been selling a new, low-carb, dietetic form of chocolate made with sugar-free, artificial sweetener. Sales have been brisk, but there have been problems shipping the wrong type of chocolate to an address with a diabetic person. There were a number of complaints, and Williwonkâ€™s sent a number of free boxes of chocolate to ease the situation. Management would like to sell products using the Web but only has a few Web pages with information about the company and an order form that could be printed. Web ordering does not exist. One of the senior executives would like to sell customized chocolates with the name of a person on each piece. Although the production area has assured management that this could be easily done, there is no method to order customized chocolates. Another senior executive has mentioned that Williwonkâ€™s has partnered with several European chocolate manufacturers and will be importing chocolate from a variety of countries. At present, this must be done over the phone, by email, or by mail. The executive wants an internal Web site that will enable employees to order directly from the partner companies. All this has led a number of managers to request trend analysis. Too much inventory results in stale chocolate, while at other times there is a shortage of a certain kind of chocolate. Seasonal and holiday variation trends would help Williwonkâ€™s maintain an adequate inventory. The inventory control manager has insisted that all changes must be implemented before the next holiday season. â€œThe time for this to be complete is an absolute due date,â€ remarked Candy, a senior manager. â€œMake sure that everything works perfectly before the site goes public,â€ she continues. â€œI donâ€™t want any customers receiving the wrong chocolates!â€ In addition, the order processing manager has mentioned that the system must be secure. You had been working for two weeks with Williwonkâ€™s on some minor modifications for its inventory information system when you overheard two managers discussing these occurrences. List the possible opportunities or problems among them that might lend themselves to systems projects.
2. Where is most of the feedback on problems with Williwonkâ€™s products coming from in Problem 1? How reliable are the sources? Explain in a paragraph.
3. After getting to know them better, you have approached Williwonkâ€™s management people with your ideas on possible systems improvements that could address some of the problems or opportunities given in Problem 1. a. In two paragraphs, provide your suggestions for systems projects. Make any realistic assumptions necessary. b. Are there any problems or opportunities discussed in Problem 1 that are not suitable? Explain your response.
4. Create a problem definition for Williwonkâ€™s, as described in Problem 1. Estimate the weights of importance. Include at least one requirement and one constraint.
5. Create a list of user requirements for the problem definition created in Problem 4.
6. Delicato, Inc., a manufacturer of precise measuring instruments for scientific purposes, has presented you with a list of attributes that its managers think are probably important in selecting a vendor for computer hardware and software. The criteria are not listed in order of importance. 1. Low price. 2. Precisely written software for engineering applications. 3. Vendor performs routine maintenance on hardware. 4. Training for Delicato employees. a. Critique the list of attributes in a paragraph. b. Using its initial input, help Delicato, Inc., draw up a more suitable list of criteria for selecting computer hardware and software vendors.
7. SoftWear Silhouettes is a rapidly growing mail-order house specializing in all-cotton clothing. Management would like to expand sales to the Web with the creation of an ecommerce site. The company has two full-time system analysts and one programmer. Company offices are located in a small, isolated New England town, and the employees who handle the traditional mail-order business have little computer training. a. Considering the companyâ€™s situation, draw up a list of software attributes that SoftWear Silhouettes should emphasize in its choice of software to create a Web site and integrate the mail- order business with business from the Web site. b. Would you recommend COTS software, custom software, or outsourcing to an ASP? State your choice and defend it in a paragraph. c. List the variables that contributed to your response in part b.