Diversity and Race Assignment: How Jazz Musicians were affected by Diversity and Race Issues in American Society in the 20th Century.
Choose one of the following jazz artists/groups to research the way(s) in which diversity played a role in their interactions with American society in the earlier part of the 20th century (1900’s -1960’s.) This could include employment issues – performance opportunities, equal treatment, touring issues – hotels, travel options, etc.), criminal justice issues (cabaret cards, arrests, drug use-targeting of musicians and neighborhoods, etc.) and other societal issues of the day. Learn how they responded (or were forced to respond) to these issues and how they involved themselves in issues of civil rights, race and diversity, equal treatment for all races. Discuss how they used their music or status in the entertainment industry to address these issues.
Write a short (approximately 1000 word paper) and submit. You will submit a draft for instructor review before you submit the final paper using the TurnItIn application on Canvas. A well-edited, concise, clear and effective presentation is an important component of this assignment. Writing assistance is offered to USF students through the USF Writing Studio – http://www.usf.edu/undergrad/academic-success-center/writing-studio/ (Links to an external site.)
- Papers need to be written in a professional style. Basic standards for grammar, sentence structure, citations (if used), and other considerations for a Research Paper style assignment need to be observed.
- In order to achieve the highest grade you need to include the following topics in your presentation:
- How diversity affected their interaction with society during their historical period in America
- What sort of responses (if any) the artist/group made to react to the diversity-divided society found in America as jazz music grew along with the country.
- How the artist/group used their music or status in the entertainment industry to address these issues
List of Jazz Artists/Groups who were affected by issues of Diversity and some of the issues they dealt with:
Louis Armstrong– early 20th century stardom for a Black musician
Fletcher Henderson – Black swing bands vs. White Swing Bands – opportunities, acceptance, Black composers/arrangers and White Swing Bands
Benny Goodman– segregation, Black and White musicians playing together
Billie Holiday – “Strange Fruit”, cabaret card, drug issues
John Coltrane – “Alabama”, how he used his music to comment on Society
Cannonball and Nat Adderley Sextet – performed as part of Jessie Jackson’s Civil Rights events in the 1960’s, raised awareness through their music – “Work Song”, and other songs which were inspired by African American history and traditions.