In 250 words Please use this case study to address the Discussion topic.
Koi is a 5-year-old boy in the childcare center where you work. You are preparing for the annual family conferences in your school. You have compiled a portfolio of Koiâ€™s progress throughout the year and also have standardized test results from a screening done on all children in your center. Koi is developing typically, and has met all of the developmental milestones as indicated by the Developmental Indicators for the Assessment of Learning (DIAL-4), the standardized screening assessment given at your school. You have prepared a portfolio complete with many work sample artifacts demonstrating his progress throughout the year.
The only area of concern noted by the early childhood professionals in Koiâ€™s classroom is off-task behavior during circle time. It takes three or four requests to get Koi to join circle time each day. He will only sit for approximately 10 minutes and then he attempts to leave the circle. After studying this behavior, the early childhood professionals were able to determine that by adding additional visuals and opportunities for movement, Koi would attend and participate in circle time for the entire lesson.
Koi has been staying and participating in circle time consistently for the past two weeks since this implemented change. You want to share all of this assessment information with Koiâ€™s parents, and the following questions are good ways to start thinking about how to best communicate with families.
Please describe how you would share these assessment results with Koiâ€™s family by answering the following questions:
- What strategies can you use to ensure that parents/caregivers feel welcome and comfortable at the beginning of the conference?
- What strategies can you use when sharing assessment information with the parents/caregivers? Why did you choose these strategies?
- What method can you use to summarize the studentâ€™s progress?
- What role do the parents/caregivers have in the conference?
- How could you share results that may be perceived by the parents/caregivers as negative?
Please use this reference:
Wortham, Sue C., Hardin, B. J. (02/2015). Assessment in Early Childhood Education, 7th Edition.