PH 353 San Diego State University Week 5 Health Governance Discussion
Get perfect grades by consistently using www.assignmentgeeks.org. Place your order and get a quality paper today. Take advantage of our current 20% discount by using the coupon code GET20
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
- In 3-4 sentences, describe global health governance and why it is important in disease transmission.
- Describe 2 missteps of WHO in handling Ebola.
- Now, think about how COVID-19 is being handled. Has WHO learned it’s lesson from Ebola in handling COVID-19? Why or why not? (Links to an external site.)
- Based on what you have learned about global health governance and COVID-19, does the US response to COVID-19 (Links to an external site.) align with the principles of global health governance? So, if you were a key player in global health, such as the President or the Secretary of State, discuss two things that you would have either done differently or kept the same in handling COVID-19, and your justification for either making these changes or supporting what has been done.
Global health governance is the ways in which societies organize and collectively manage their affairs. There are many key players in effective global health governance, including state and non-state actors, like the WHO and private donors such as the Gates Foundation. Global health diplomacy (GHD) is the “process of negotiated collective action for global health that can eventually lead to new forms of global health policy and governance ” (Fidler, 2008).
Let’s now dive into the readings and videos. Assigned readings and videos for this topic are organized in preferred chronological order below and will be relevant for your discussion assignment!
- Please watch my lecture on global health governance and global health diplomacy.
- And here is a copy of the slides: Global Health Governance.pdfActions
- Now, complete this short reading on Global health governance.pdfActions
- Let’s watch this video on theWHOs response to Ebola (Links to an external site.)
- And this video onWHO reform (Links to an external site.)
- Finally, this short reading on lessons learned from the Ebola crisis
Objective: To explore a local public health intervention or prevention program and identify strengths and weaknesses based on the lecture material.
Instructions: Please find a local public health intervention or prevention program that is currently being implemented (or was recently implemented) in your community. I have included some websites below to help your search. Once you have found the program, please answer the following questions.
- Describe the program in at least 4-5 sentences. What is the goal of the program, who is the population targeted?
- Based on the information from the instructor lecture, identify the type of community intervention (community as a setting, community as a resource, etc) that is being implemented
- Do you think this program is good for your community? Why or why not? Remember, community members are essential to designing effective programs, so think about what you know about your own community and whether this intervention will be effective. What might public health professionals want to consider adding/removing?
Live Well San Diego (Links to an external site.)
Alcohol and Drug Prevention Programs (Links to an external site.)
Part 1: Read Chapter 16: ‘Think About It: The Stigmatization of HIV and Other STIs’ and answer two of the following questions:
- How have you observed HIV/STI stigma among your friends or others in our society? How were these stigmas demonstrated?
- If you became infected with HIV or another STI, would stigma and shame be an issue for you? If so, how would you deal with it? From what resources would you seek help and support?
The Millennium Village Project had multiple challenges, as discussed by Nina Munk in The Idealist. Based on your reading and what you have learned in this course, please respond to the following question in 1.5-2 double-spaced pages. You do not need any references besides The Idealist.:
- Identify 2-3 specific challenges or pitfalls discussed in the book and how you would address each one. Consider how Sachs’ egotism and inability to listen to the people of the villages and experts in the field contributed to these challenges.
- If you were to conduct a similar study today, what specifically would you do differently and why?
Do you need help with this or a different assignment? We offer CONFIDENTIAL, ORIGINAL (Turnitin/LopesWrite/SafeAssign checks), and PRIVATE services using latest (within 5 years) peer-reviewed articles. Kindly click on ORDER NOW to receive an A++ paper from our masters- and PhD writers.
Get a 15% discount on your order using the following coupon code SAVE15
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper