Green Marketing Activity
In this assignment, you will gain insight into how companies utilize green labeling to help consumers understand what the companies are doing to become better stewards of our environment. You will gain insight into how some companies practice “greenwashing” methods to deceive consumers with false claims of eliminating waste, saving energy, using environmentally friendly products, or using recycling products within their goods. It is always up to the consumer to be diligent when buying products for themselves or their families.
Choose three products you use in your home. Then using the Ecolabel website (http://www.ecolabelindex.com/ecolabels/?st=country,us) or one of the other useful websites below, determine which Green Initiative/Eco Label the label supports.
Ex. Dawn Dish Soap: referring to the Proctor & Gamble website, I determined the Green/Eco Label Dawn Dish Soap supports is Recycled Plastic. I chose Recycled Plastic as the Green/Eco Label for this Green Initiative. I then researched and answered the questions about the product label.
Ex. Whole Foods Coffee: referring to the Whole Foods website, I determined the Green/Eco Label the coffee supports are Organically Grown, Rainforest Alliance, Fair Trade Certified, and Whole Trade Guaranteed. In this case, I chose Organically Grown as the Green/Eco Label for this Green Initiative. I then researched and answered the questions about the product label.
Ex. Whirlpool Top-Load Washer: researching the whirlpool website, I determined our washer had a high Energy Star rating. In this case, I chose Energy Star as the Green/Eco Label for this Green Initiative. I then researched and answered the questions about the product label.
Websites you will find useful as you research your product labels:
Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) Environmental Claims: Summary of the Green Guides. Click here to access the PDF document for the quality of the labels you find.
You may find the Environmental Protection Agency’s Introduction to Ecolabels and Standards for Greener Products valuable https://www.epa.gov/greenerproducts/introduction-ecolabels-and-standards-greener-products
For additional help in locating green labels, see the Ecolabel website http://www.ecolabelindex.com/ecolabels/?st=country,us.
Using this template, you will compile the information you researched about each of the three different green/eco labels you found and then answer the questions below for each product label.
- Using the Green Initiative/Eco Label you selected, what are the standards associated with the green label?
- What is the certification process for each of your Green Initiative/Eco Label you selected?
- Do you think that this Green Initiative/Eco Label you selected is legitimate? Why, or why not? Discuss your rationale for why you think the label is or is not legitimate.
- Does the label comply with the FTC’s Environmental Claims: Summary of the Green Guides? Discuss specific points in your summary to which the label does or does not comply.
- Does the presence of this Green Initiative/Eco Label influence your purchasing decision? Why, or why not?
Using the data you collected and the useful websites compose a scholarly report about Green Marketing:
- Compose an introduction and conclusion to your paper.
- Write a one-page summary about green labeling, greenwashing, and the information you gathered from your three Green Initiative/Eco Labels.
- Incorporate information from the Tsai and Dahl articles (pp. 112 – 122) in the textbook. Do not forget to cite and reference your sources.