It is not unusual for use to contemplate the changes we would make to healthcare policy if we were in charge. Indeed, criticism of our leaders and their actions has become a bit of a sport. In this assignment you are given the opportunity to critically reflect on changing the Affordable Care Act of 2010 and its supporting regulation. This is not a forum to repeat talking points from the various pundits. Rather, it is expected that this reflective paper would prompt broad, critical, creative thinking to resolve what may be the most important policy and legal issues of our time. This is an opportunity to be part of the solution.
- In your textbook, Essentials of health policy and law, read Chapters 8, 10, and 11.
- Prepare a 3-4 page reflection paper, not including the title page and references. The paper should follow all APA guidelines.
- Remember a reflection paper focuses on your thoughts about the topic rather than just writing a summary or description. If you have never written a reflection paper, a short 5 minute video with some guidance can be viewed at
- For the assignment you are completing the sentence “If I were President…”; providing your reflections on needed changes and solutions to weaknesses in the Affordable Care Act (ACA) of 2010.
- Some questions to prompt your reflection are:
- Which policies and regulations from the ACA were/were not working?
- What population needs are not adequately met?
- What changes could be made to improve the legislation or meet the needs of the population?
- What would be the economic impact of your proposed changes? How will we pay for them?
- Will the changes impact the rights of individuals?
- Will the changes improve the quality of care?
- Will the changes improve the efficiency of the system?
NOTE: There is no requirement for you to answer all the above questions. Just use them to guide your thoughts and assess in critical evaluation.