Please use all links for assignment
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, review Project IDEAL Online’s Classroom Management (Links to an external site.) web page. From this website, be sure to also review Positive Reinforcement (Links to an external site.), Involving Parents (Links to an external site.), and Consequences (Links to an external site.). Beyond just these resources, you are encouraged to continue looking through the additional resources within this website.
One of the most important aspects of your role as an educator will be to effectively address challenging behaviors that occur in your classroom. In your reading this week you learned that Klass, Guskin, and Thomas (1995) and McCabe and Frede (2007) define challenging behavior as “a pattern of behavior that interferes with a child’s cognitive, social, or emotional development” (as cited in Kaiser & Sklar Rasminsky, 2017, section 1.1). As teachers, it can be difficult to address challenging behaviors in the classroom. This assignment is your opportunity to understand the risk factors of why challenging behaviors occur and create strategies on how to address these behaviors.
Before beginning the assignment, read the following two scenarios and select one for your paper:
Scenario A: Olivia is a 3-year-old girl in a classroom of 20 children. Olivia comes from a single-parent household and lives with her mother. Olivia’s mother had Olivia as a teenager and is currently working full time and attending classes to earn her high school equivalency. In the last few weeks Olivia’s behavior has been described as disruptive. She is continually acting impulsively and has been observed saying negative things to her peers.
Scenario B: Jose is a 2-year-old boy in a classroom of 15 children. Jose comes from a two-parent household. Both of Jose’s parents work full time and Jose’s mom is pregnant with her second child. Jose has been described as having low language skills and is often seen hitting his peers during free play times. Jose has trouble sitting at circle time and receives constant reminders to stay in his chair during classroom activities.
To prepare for your assignment,
· Refer to the Week 1 Instructor Guidance for further tips and examples that will support your success with this discussion.
· Review Chapters 1, 2, and 3 of your textbook (Risk factors are located on sections 2.1 and 2.2).
· Refer to chart 1.1 titled “A Rose by Any Other Name” for help.
In your paper, select one of the scenarios to write about and consider the question “Why are some children more challenging than others?” Be sure to address the following:
· Identify and describe three risk factors which influence behavior (may include considerations of brain development).
· Discuss how each factor influences behavior.
· Analyze strategies teachers may use to support the process of changing or replacing behaviors.
· Brainstorm ideas to involve parents in the behavior modification process.
The Risk Factors of Behavior Summary paper
· Must be two to three double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the UAGC Writing Center’s APA Style (Links to an external site.)
· Must include a separate title page with the following:
· Title of paper
· Student’s name
· Course name and number
· Instructor’s name
· Date submitted
For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Word 2013 (Links to an external site.).
· Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
· Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
· For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.) as well as Writing a Thesis Statement (Links to an external site.), refer to the UAGC Writing Center resources.
· Must use at least one scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
· The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
· Must document any information used from sources in APA style as outlined in the UAGC Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.)
· Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the UAGC Writing Center. See the Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the UAGC Writing Center for specifications.