Class activity on atmospheric layers.
Write down the atmospheric layer where these objects can be found:
1. Ozone layer that absorbs the UV solar radiation (good ozone)
2. Ozone emissions from human activities (bad ozone)
3. Commercial airplanes in flight
5. Most of our weather systems
6. Mount Everest (the tallest mountain on Earth)
8. Next, answer the question about how temperature changes with increasing altitude.
(1) How does temperature change with increasing altitude in the troposphere?
(2) How does temperature change with increasing altitude in the stratosphere?
Take a look at the temperature in the figure below. How does the temperature change in the troposphere and stratosphere when the altitude increases?
Troposphere: Depth of the troposphere is from surface to ~11 km (~36,000 feet). This is where lots of mixing occur due to rising and sinking air motions
Stratosphere: Depth of the stratosphere is located above the troposphere from approximately 12 km to about 50 km.