Scenario: You are interviewing for a position as a law enforcement officer who is expected to interact regularly with juveniles and adults. The hiring committee wants to choose a candidate who can write clearly and who demonstrates a solid understanding of standard procedures in the juvenile versus criminal justice systems.
Write a 700- to 1,050-word paper comparing the procedures that law enforcement officers and courts should follow when interacting with juveniles versus adults during the stages of intake, prosecution, adjudication, and disposition.
Choose 1 of the following videos from the University Library of a court session to use as an example scenario for this assignment:
- Rodrick: Juvenile Court in Session
- Morris: Juvenile Court in Session
- Kenneth: Juvenile Court in Session
- Kymyada: Juvenile Court in Session
Complete the following in your paper:
- Summarize the case you chose and the legal issues facing the juvenile and the court.
- Define the role and key parameters of the juvenile justice system.
- Explain the function of juvenile vs. adult courts.
- Summarize the court’s philosophy of juvenile justice used in this case.
- Explain how law enforcement and the courts might have interacted differently with this person as a juvenile than if he or she had been an adult.
Summarize the rights and confidentiality protections that exist for this juvenile that are not the same for adults. Use the State Profiles from the National Juvenile Defender Center and include at least 1 policy specific to your state that would be relevant in this case. My state is
- Which community-based program do you think will be best suited to assist the troubled youth in your chosen scenario to help prevent further crimes? Justify your suggestions based on history, trends, causation theories, and the potential for reform. Use current statistics and data to support your claims.
- Use language and terms appropriate for each justice system when comparing juveniles versus adults.
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines. Minimum 2 scholarly references are required.