Assignment 3: The Value of Fair Treatment in the Workplace
Due Week 10 and worth 280 points
The year is 2025 and the U.S. Supreme Court has declared all laws
prohibiting discrimination in the workplace to be unconstitutional. In
its opinion, however, the Supreme Court made clear that employers could
voluntarily adopt policies and procedures prohibiting any and all forms
of discrimination in the workplace. The Supreme Court also made clear
that employers could voluntarily adopt hiring practices to diversify
their workforces provided such practices did not include express
preferences based upon immutable characteristics.
You have been
hired as a consultant by a large, nationwide retailer to examine the
business case for ensuring that all of the employee protections are
found within the federal anti-discrimination laws, as well as the
business case for prohibiting any other forms of discrimination in the
Write a four to six (4-6) page report in which you:
- Analyze the benefits and costs of voluntarily prohibiting three to
five (3-5) federal forms of discrimination prohibited under the federal
- Discuss the benefits and costs of voluntarily prohibiting a form of
discrimination not covered by any of the federal anti-discrimination
- State the benefits and costs of voluntarily adopting hiring and promotion practices designed to diversify the workforce.
- Evaluate the ethical considerations of not voluntarily prohibiting
the forms of discrimination laws examined in the first part of your
report. Next, determine the ethical considerations of not voluntarily
adopting hiring and promotion practices to diversify the workforce.
- Provide a final recommendation to this retailer on whether or not
they should ensure all, part, or none of the employee protections
examined in the first part of your report. Your recommendation should
also include whether or not the retailer should adopt hiring and
promotion practices designed to diversify the workplace. Be sure to
include a rationale for your recommendation along with an explanation
for any rejections of contrary positions or other pertinent
- Use at least three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not quality as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with
one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA
or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the
student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date.
The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required
assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze and apply the concepts of ethical decision making, corporate governance and corporate social responsibility.
- Analyze and evaluate the employment-at-will doctrine and the statutory protections afforded employees.
- Analyze and evaluate issues in modern contract law.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in law, ethics, and corporate governance.
- Write clearly and concisely about law, ethics, and corporate governance using proper writing mechanics.