This assignment focuses on your ability to: learn how to identify the plot devices of a piece of literature; craft your own creative piece with similar plot devices.
The purpose of completing this assignment is: as a student and a career professional, you will need to read and summarize many different forms of literature. Very often, you will need to report out on those summaries. This is a good practice in developing those skills!
Prompt (What are you writing about?)
- After reading the stories in the unit, select one story to write an analysis of the plot on. Please answer the following questions about that short short story or fairy tale in one paragraph: What is the plot of the story and how clear is that plot? How does the plot influence the overall story?
- Both “The Invisible String” and “Swan of the Gods” deal with the question of what connects us to other people and to the universe? Be it strings we cannot see or stars that we each look at throughout time, connections are one of the main things that drive human interactions and help us navigate the world.
o Create your own work of fiction with a clear plot or sequence of events that focuses on the invisible or visible connections that exist in the world. The story should be no more than 500 words in length. You may organize the story into however many paragraphs you would like, but please make sure not to go over 500 words. The subject of your story is entirely up to you, but please make sure it is appropriate for an academic setting. Your story should have a main character, a simple conflict, and some form of a resolution.
Instructions (how to get it done):
- Write your response that details the prompt above. Be sure to analyze one of the short short stories or fairy tales. Then, create your own story.
- Your response should be at least two paragraphs (does not include the title page).
- Your response should have a properly APA formatted title page. The title page template is in the Unit 1 resources.
- Please use proper APA format if you quote, paraphrase, or summarize the story by including an in-text citation after the evidence and a reference listed on the References page. Also, remember to use quotation marks if you include a direct quote.
- The paper should be double spaced with 1-inch margins. Choice of fonts: 11-point Calibri, 11-point Arial,12-point Times New Roman.
- Please be cautious about plagiarism. Make sure to use internal citations for direct quotes, paraphrases, and new information.
Students: Be sure to read before you write, and again after you write