Assignment 3: Risk Management and Effective Communication Planning
Due Week 8 and worth 140 points
Imagine that you have been asked to participate as a project manager for a website renovation project for a clothing department store. The Website will be mobile-user friendly and will target global customers to expand business overseas. The scope requires your project team to decompose the project into the following phases: design a sample Website, attain consensus on the design from upper management, develop the Website, test the Website functionality, and transition Web services to the new Website. A project of this magnitude carries many risks. For instance, the marketing department has a habit of adding requirements and requesting features toward the end of the project.
System network administrators have expressed their concerns for cyberattacks and other cyberthreats that are prevalent across the industry. The IT Operations team also has provided feedback and is worried about having enough bandwidth for the additional global visitors who will now be accessing the Website.
For this assignment, you will be expected to develop a risk management plan and assist in coordinating communications amongst the project stakeholders.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
- Develop a risk assessment using the table format below to:
- Select at least two (2) risks that could take place for each phase of the project which includes:
- Designing a sample Website
- Attaining consensus on the design from upper management
- Developing the Website
- Testing the Website functionality
- Transitioning Web services to the new Website
- Identify a risk owner and his / her role in the project.
- Describe a strategy for managing each risk.
- Describe the response to the risk.
- Identify the resources that would be required to provide a risk response plan.
Note: Document the risk assessment by using the following table format.
|Risk Management Plan|
Owner / Role
Strategy for Managing Risk
Designing a sample Website
Attaining consensus on the design from upper management
Developing the Website
Testing the Website functionality
Transitioning Web services to the new Website
Consider the following communication requirements:
- The project manager will need to present the project status to executive management on a weekly basis. The project manager will need to provide a written status report to the Chief Financial Officer on a monthly basis.
- The Website manager will be notified via email on all Web services requests required for the project. Request notifications will include time constraints and impacts, which will identify the urgency of the request for service.
- The project team will have weekly update / status meetings to review completed tasks and determine current work priorities. Minutes will be produced from all meetings.
- The project manager will provide the project sponsor, executives, and project team with project team minutes and steering committee status reports.
- The financial analyst assigned to this project will need to provide the project team a report of actual costs that are tied to the project.
- An enterprise newsletter is expected to be produced by the project team to inform all employees of the undergoing changes to the Website. The newsletter should be attached to the employee paychecks, which get distributed every two weeks.
- List at least three (3) benefits that could be achieved by anticipating possible risks. Use the completed risk management plan to provide an example.
- Explain how a properly developed risk management plan could help functional resources and executives, external to the IT Project Management team, to mitigate possible delays or increased costs.
- Develop a project communications plan based on the completed risk assessment, which describes the various communications that will be produced throughout the project.
Note: Document the plan by using the following table format.
|Project Communication Plan|
Description and Format
Time Frame / Frequency
Benefit to the Project
- Evaluate the role of communications management within project management.
- Describe at least three (3) benefits that a project team could achieve by having properly planned communications. Use the completed project communication plan to provide an example.
- Suggest how communications management could optimize communications within the project team and other stakeholders.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- Include charts or diagrams created in Excel, Visio, MS Project, or one of their equivalents such as OpenOffice, Dia, and Open Project. The completed diagrams / charts must be imported into the Word document before the paper is submitted.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Explain and apply the phases of the project management life cycle.
- Identify project risk, and the techniques for ensuring project risk is managed and controlled in a technology setting.
- Identify and plan communication strategies for project constituents and stakeholders across global teams and those internal to the organization.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in information systems.
- Write clearly and concisely about Information Technology Project Management topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.