The purpose of the Final Paper is to apply your understanding of industrial/organizational psychology to a specific job and organization. This paper should be an objective analysis of a specific job in a particular work organization. It may be a place that you or a friend or family member is currently working.
Your paper should be based on material from the class and the textbook. You are expected to write an eight- to ten-page paper (not counting title and reference pages) that integrates relevant topics and theories from industrial/organizational psychology. Utilize a minimum of three scholarly, peer-reviewed sources document in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Be sure to address the following discussion points in your paper:
- Describe the organization as a whole and a specific job within this organization. Is there a formal job description? Include a complete job description (if available) as an appendix. Does this organization use a formal job analysis? If so, describe it.
- Explain how employees are recruited and selected by the organization. Do they use tests, interviews or application blanks? If there is a standard application, include a copy with your paper as an appendix). Is there a formal job evaluation that determines the appropriate pay levels for different jobs and employees?
- Explain the criteria that are used to appraise employee performance. How are employees appraised? How often are they evaluated and by whom?
- Discuss the kinds of training/development which are a part of this job. How effective is the training?
- Describe some of the specific stressors in this job and the companyâ€™s communication process.
- Discuss how the organization or your specific supervisor motivates his/her employees. What motivation theory best seems to apply? Identify the leadership approach or theory which best explains this organization and discuss how it is applied.
- Describe some of the various groups that exist in your workplace. What factors affect group performance in your job? Use at least one theory in your analysis of this setting.
- Describe changes you would suggest for improving this job and/or organization.
Writing the Final Paper
The Final Paper:
- Must be eight to ten double-spaced pages in length, and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Studentâ€™s name
- Course name and number
- Instructorâ€™s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
- Must use a minimum of three scholarly, peer-reviewed sources published within the last five years (not including the course text).
- Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.