The complexity and volume of patient data makes clinical decision support very
challenging for health care providers. The field of Informatics can be used to
process this data and form recommendations to assist these health care
providers. Clinical decision support systems are used to help determine the
nature of patients’ disease state, determine a diagnosis, and develop a care
plan. For your Final Paper, select and evaluate one of the clinical
decision support systems (CDSS) listed on pages 100-102 of your textbook
These are the choices listed on pages 100- 102 of our textbook
AAPHelp, MYCIN, DxPlain, ABEL, GermWatcher, & ISABEL
Your paper must address the following components:
- clinical intent
- mechanisms of intervention
- methods of reasoning
- Privacy and Security
- What privacy and security protections are built into
- What are some of the privacy and security concerns you
think should be addressed to prevent unauthorized access?
- What other health information systems (EHR, CPOE,
etc.) does the CDSS incorporate?
- What standards (ANSI, HL-7, UMLS, ASTM, etc.) does the
- What strategies could be used to ensure
interoperability with other systems?
- Incorporation of Internet Technologies
- How does the CDSS interact with the internet?
- What internet based standards does the CDSS
incorporate (SGML, XML, HTTP, TCP/IP, etc.)?
- Data Integrity
- What are the sources of the data?
- List at least 10 data elements and permissible values
for the data dictionary?
- For your selected system, create a policy to ensure
compliance with health information, data exchange or industry
The Final Paper should demonstrate
an understanding of the reading assignments, class discussions, case studies,
assignments, additional research and the application of new
Writing the Final Paper
The Final Paper:
- Must be eight to ten double-spaced pages in length, and
formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a
succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical
- Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
- Must use at least five scholarly sources (including
- Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in
the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page, formatted
according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric
for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.